In my last post I wrote about navigating the shadow, and this beautiful playful dance between light and dark in ourselves. In this post I want to share a nice simple practice to relax and to let go in those moments that feel sticky or heavy, and to allow yourself fill up with the light again.
Talking to a very special mentor of mine this week, she described so eloquently the ebb and flow between our light and shadow parts, just like day and night. They are such integral parts of who we are. They come and go with the natural flow of life. There are times when we are consumed in the dark night of the shadow and other times filled with bright light. Just like day and night, we cannot and do not need to control them. Every day the sun rises to flood the landscape with its rays of light. Every night the sun sets and the darkness falls. Nothing can hold back this natural cycle.
So it is ok and totally normal to find ourselves going through times where we are in deeper conversation with our shadow, just as it is to sit wide awake on a dark night. In fact, these can be very profound, revealing and intimate moments with ourselves, when we are not in resistance to them and we can trust that the light will naturally reappear again, just as the sun is sure to rise the next morning.
You might like to try this simple exercise when you have a moment to just close your eyes, even for just one minute. Ideally you can practice it for real outside in nature at sunrise, but you can do it by just closing your eyes and using your imagination, perhaps in the morning before you start the day, or at any moment that it feels right to allow more light in to your being.
- Imagine yourself sitting, standing or lying outside, perhaps in nature where you feel safe and comfortable. It is early morning before sunrise. You are turned to face East, with a clear view in front of you of the horizon. Maybe it’s a lake and mountain tops, trees and grassy fields, the open sea, the desert or the rooftops of the city.
- You settle in your body and get still. Tune-in to your body sensations as you relax more and more. Feel yourself letting go of all holding and tension. Notice the free-flowing rhythm of your breath.
- Gradually the sun starts to rise over the horizon. Imagine the light starting to flood over the landscape. The sky, your body and all that is around you is gradually being lit up. Imagine the colours emerging. Nothing can stop it or slow it down – that light is coming no matter what. It is like a warm glow. Relax as you feel the warmth touch different parts of your body and notice the changing light and colours in your eyes.
- Feel the light of the sun filling you up, healing, awakening and re-energising every cell in your body. Fully surrender your mind and body to this flood of light and feel your own light starting to react and radiate outward in reflection. How does it feel?
- As you let go completely, acknowledge that you do not have to do or be or achieve anything more to receive this light or to be a source of radiant light. This is what you already are.
- When you feel complete, give gratitude to this amazing sun, source of life and light. As you move out of this practice into the rest of your day, let the light glow out through you all of your being, through your eyes, your smile, your heart and your whole body, so that simply being in your presence can light up all those around you.
I hope you enjoy this practice. Please let me know how it feels? I feel so radiant just writing it out here!